Tuesday, July 11, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Maria Gives Bleach a Try


Welcome to today's Spotlight post. I decided to have a go at a bleach technique I stumbled upon. It didn't work like in the video, but I made some cards with the results anyway. In the end I actually ended up liking the card I made from my "epic fail" the best! Here it is.


STEP 1
Gathered my supplies. Watercolor paper, watercolors, water, bleach, brushes and Shaker Balloon Star dies. And Birds of Paradise for one of my all-time favorite tiny sentiment stamps.



STEP 2
Prepped my bleach wash (one cup water, 5 drops bleach)...



STEP 3
... and applied a good wash of it to my sheet of watercolor paper.



 STEP 4
If you look closely, you may notice that this is now a different piece of watercolor paper. I thought my first piece was an epic fail after I put down the drops of pigment, probably because the paper was a) too flimsy and b) too textured. I took a piece of heavier and smoother watercolor paper and continued. Plenty of bleach wash and a full brush of pigment squished down into it.



STEP 5
Unfortunately, I didn't really end up with the feathered effect I was expecting.


STEP 6
But since I can't throw anything away, I continued with my plan and die cut some balloons from these not-so-feathered blobs. Added them to a kraft cardbase, stamped/drew some balloon strings and called it good.





STEP 7
Then I looked at the epic fail with its tiny little splotches which had dried in the meantime. And voila!



STEP 8
I am now absolutely and truly in love with the Trendy Spring Blooms die! I die cut as many images as I could from the sheet of watercolor paper and assembled them randomly onto a cardbase that I created from a sheet of the same watercolor paper. Attached them, leaving some edges loose for interest. Couldn't decide on a sentiment treatment - so left it off! Do you ever find yourself in a love/hate relationship with something you've created?




If you try out any of the techniques from our Spotlight posts, hook your project up at our Spotlight Project Showcase.

TschĂĽss,

Maria



Products Maria used in today's project:






7 comments:

  1. Lovely cards :) i havent tried out the bleaching technique yet, looks interesting. I agree, that trendy blooms die set is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful results even if not quite what you expected!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card you ended up with. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great save from the first sheet - like you I like that card the most of the three. Thanks for sharing the technique
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like the epic fail. It's so clean and fresh. Great use of the dies. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly inspirational and you persevered....love your cards, your creativity and finished cards x

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)